Portable Bluetooth speakers (BTS) that are ubiquitous today carry rechargeable batteries. These BTS can now be transformed into backup battery supply for mobile devices and smart phones using Active-Semi ACT280x Family Power management ICs. Dedicated single-IC solutions based on ACT280x Family provide battery charging capability for BTS, and in addition, support a 5V USB charging port to charge external devices.
- Ultra-compact battery charger design: Smaller battery charger PCB design leaves more room for accommodating a larger battery or more powerful speakers
- Smaller system BOM: Helps improve reliability, as well as on the cost of the overall design
- Integrated Safety features such as over-temperature, over-voltage protection
- Scalable solution for different battery charging needs
The ACT280X ICs from Active-Semi offer the most compact system design for BTS power design to add a USB charging port, and transform the speaker into a backup battery. The power management solution can be implemented using just one ACT280x IC along with discretes, and without the need for additional ICs such as an MCU, or protection ICs. As such, ACT280x based BTS power management solution provide the smallest BOM, smallest PCB solutions available today.
ACT280x Family integrates Buck/Boost switching charger, direct power path and LED battery charge indication. ACT280x Family also includes an input to obtain user feedback (for example, via a push button), to support user-interface functions such as turn on/off charging on external USB port, and query battery charge status. The IC supports LED indication to display charging level on 4 LEDs.
Key Features & Benefits
- Dedicated single-chip solution with smallest BOM for Bluetooth Speaker battery charging with external USB charging capability
- LED support for Bluetooth speaker battery-charge indication
- No increase in board space versus conventional system lacking USB charging port
- High charge & discharge efficiency, 95% boost efficiency (Vbat = 4.1V)
- <10 μA low battery leakage current in Hi-Z mode during storage
- No-load shutdown and push button turn-on
- Sophisticated battery protection for Over Current (OCP), Over Voltage (OVP), Over Temperature (OTP) and Short Circuit Protections (SCP). Battery disconnection at output short
Bluetooth Speaker Block Diagram
Figure below shows the simplified implementation of Bluetooth speaker power management solution using ACT280x to implement battery charging and USB charging port capability. Vin in connected to input voltage source (5V USB input) which charges the battery attached to Vbat (internal BTS battery). In the event, the mobile device or smart phone needs to be recharged, it can be connected to Vout using a USB cable to transfer charge. In the case when Vin in not connected and Vout is connected, ACT280x charges the smart phone battery using the change from the internal Bluetooth battery. In the case when Vin is also connected, ACT280x continues to charge the external battery through direct power path, and also charge the internal BTS battery. This solution also supports 4 LEDs for bluetooth speaker battery charge status indication.